A series of tweets from my friend Joe Thorn yesterday ::
5 reasons I might be anxious/stressed. All of which are cured by the gospel…
1. Not knowing or trusting God (his power or purpose) in the midst of uncertainty.
2. Underestimating the power of the gospel to heal what hurts or overcome what threatens us
3. Unrepentant sin and a convicted conscience
4. False guilt via false teachers or bad theology
5. Threatened idols: when my identity is found in perception, performance, significance, success, etc., & those things are threatened.
And from Jesus ::
Matt. 6.25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Matt. 6.34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.